Trading Standards Officer
Location: Greater Manchester
Pay rate: £40 per hour
We are looking for experienced and passionate Trading Standards Officer to join a dedicated Food and Health and Safety Team.
The role holder will provide professional consultation, support and guidance for team members, colleagues and external stakeholders to assist in professional decision making and approve specific decisions in relation to the implementation, enforcement and translation of statutory regulations, legislation and national guidelines.
The role holder will be responsible for the delivery of an effective, high quality operational, inspection, compliance and regulation service through the provision of detailed technical regulatory knowledge in order to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of Manchester residents.
The role holder will effectively liaise and engage with customers and stakeholders and ensure quality customer focused services are delivered within performance and quality targets.
- Hold the Trading Standards professional qualification DTS or DCATS or equivalent which must include metrology.
- Have a range of knowledge across the full breadth of Trading Standards work.
- Must be familiar with the Corporate Enforcement Policy and the Regulators Code, understand enforcement procedures including preparation of prosecution case files, Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) interview processes, Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, Data Protection Act, General Data Protection Regulations and giving evidence in court.
- Willing to consent to and apply for a standard disclosure check.
Provide effective management, coordination and direction of a compliance and regulation function ensuring adherence through a variety of interventions whilst communicating the authority’s vision, corporate values, aims and objectives.
Develop and administer thorough investigative procedures and regulatory protocols.
Identify and support the implementation of change and improvements in support of organisational and compliance and regulation strategies.
Effectively develop, manage, and quality control multi-agency referral processes to ensure excellence and effectiveness in targeted service delivery.
Roles at this level may be required to undertake management duties, either through direct line management of a team (including appraisals, performance management and other duties) or through matrix management of a virtual team of officers.
Maintain competence in subject matter specialism, undertaking research and information gathering to ensure Council adopts and maintains best practice in areas of specialism, providing ad hoc advice as required.
Develop and deliver process improvement plans and strategies in accordance with agreed time, quality, budget and other performance criteria within the Council.
Ensure that the team work within statutory guidelines and maintain relationships with other teams to ensure the highest standard of service delivery.
Monitor and evaluate service delivery to ensure that performance targets are met and review strategies and procedures as appropriate, aligning them with customer demand and feedback to continually enhance the service.
Through personal example, open commitment and clear action, ensure diversity is positively valued, resulting in equal access and treatment in employment, service delivery and communications. The Purpose of the Role is:
This is an agency post and Pertemps can offer you:-
- Completion of complex investigations to determine whether offences have been committed. This can involve techniques including interviewing suspects under caution, carrying out seizures at businesses and domestic premises, carrying out tests and mathematical calculations to determine whether weighing and measuring equipment is fit for use for trade, interrogating and submitting to national intelligence databases, working with other Trading Standards services and a range of partners including GMP, HMRC, Border Force and Immigration.
- Interpretation of a broad range of complex legislation related to Trading Standards for the purposes of advice and enforcement. This will also involve providing specialist and assured advice to primary authority companies which can include national companies.
- Providing advice and support to vulnerable customers who may have been the victim of fraud.
- Planning and carrying out product sampling on a reactive and planned basis, interpreting the results of sampling and determining the most appropriate course of action to protect public safety where sampling results in safety failures.
- Developing effective partnership working relationships and overcome resourcing and procedural barriers to deliver effective multi-agency projects and operations.
- Planning for and working at large scale events enforcing trademark legislation and participating in National and Regional campaigns and projects.
- Attendance at professional panels and providing training for internal colleagues and external partners and businesses.
- Identifying emerging threats relevant to the service and contributing to service planning.
- Taking responsibility for own continuing professional development and ensuring suitable records of competency are kept up to date.
Dedicated consultant who has access to all roles across the UK and is available for you to speak to, easy registration process, referral schemes and incentives, ongoing compliance managed for you, prompt and reliable payroll and lots more.
This role is ideally located for those travelling from Bolton, Bury , Oldham, Manchester, Rochdale, Stockport, Trafford, Macclesfield, Warrington, Wigan, Huddersfield, Oldham, Ashton under Lyne,
Middleton, Urmston, Huddersfield,
Irlam, Stretford, Eccles and Salford, Rochdale and Stockport.