Trading Standards Officer
Location: Greater Manchester
Pay rate: £30 per hour
We are looking for experienced and passionate Trading Standards Officer. The ideal candidate will provide professional consultation, support and guidance for team members, colleagues and external stakeholders to assist in professional decision making and approve specific decisions in relation to the implementation, enforcement and translation of statutory regulations, legislation and national guidelines.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for the delivery of an effective, high quality operational, inspection, compliance and regulation service through the provision of detailed technical regulatory knowledge in order to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of Manchester residents.
The ideal candidate will effectively liaise and engage with customers and stakeholders and ensure quality customer focused services are delivered within performance and quality targets.
Perfect candidate will be:
● Hold the Trading Standards professional qualification DTS or DCATS or equivalent which must include metrology.
● Have a range of knowledge across the full breadth of Trading Standards work.
● Must be familiar with the Corporate Enforcement Policy and the Regulators Code, understand enforcement procedures including preparation of prosecution case files, Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) interview processes, Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, Data Protection Act, General Data Protection Regulations and giving evidence in court.
● Willing to consent to and apply for a standard disclosure check.
In this role you will:
● Complete complex investigations to determine whether offences have been committed. This can involve techniques including interviewing suspects under caution, carrying out seizures at businesses and domestic premises, carrying out tests and mathematical calculations to determine whether weighing and measuring equipment is fit for use for trade, interrogating and submitting to national intelligence databases, working with other Trading Standards services and a range of partners including GMP, HMRC, Border Force and Immigration.
● interpret a broad range of complex legislation related to Trading Standards for the purposes of advice and enforcement. This will also involve providing specialist and assured advice to primary authority companies which can include national companies.
● Provide advice and support to vulnerable customers who may have been the victim of fraud.
● Planning and carrying out product sampling on a reactive and planned basis, interpreting the results of sampling and determining the most appropriate course of action to protect public safety where sampling results in safety failures.
● Develop effective partnership working relationships and overcome resourcing and procedural barriers to deliver effective multi-agency projects and operations.
● Plan for and work at large scale events enforcing trademark legislation and participating in National and Regional campaigns and projects.
● Attend professional panels and provide training for internal colleagues and external partners and businesses.
● Identify emerging threats relevant to the service and contribute to service planning.
● Take responsibility for own continuing professional development and ensuring suitable records of competency are kept up to date.
This role is ideally located for those travelling from Bolton, Bury , Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Trafford, Ashton under Lyne, Macclesfield, Warrington, Wigan, Huddersfield