This Independent Day School based in Bishop's Stortford are seeking to appoint a Permanent School Caretaker to join their warm and friendly Support Services Team. The school firmly believe in their motto of realising potential and living life to the full. The school offer a unique education environment where everyone works together in harmony to create a positive and supportive atmosphere.
The school has recently been refurbished with new classrooms, computer suite and access to tablets for all staff and pupils. There is a new playground and all-weather surface that has really enhanced the look and feel of the school. The school currently meets all the standards judged by the Independent School Inspectorate. Across the board the school consistently been graded Good with elements of Outstanding.
As the Assistant Caretaker, you will be responsible for working alongside the Lead Caretaker to ensure that the school runs smoothly, is well maintained and that you respond to any actions urgently. You will be the face of the school for many first time visitors and at events so you must have great customer facing skills.
Pertemps Education have been retained to undertake the full search and selection. The successful application have the following personal qualities:
• Cheerful with a ‘can do' attitude;
• responsible, honest and reliable;
• the ability to remain calm in an emergency, for example if there is a break-in or fire;
• have good verbal communication skills to deal with staff, parents, visitors and children in a positive manner;
• be reasonably fit.
• practical with good DIY skills;
• understand safe working practices and health and safety legislation;
• be able to interpret technical information;
• be well-organised and capable of prioritising own work;
• be happy to work alone or as part of a team;
• be flexible and enjoy a varied routine - days can rarely be planned and the ability to deal with sudden changes whilst maintaining a good sense of humour is essential.
As the Assistant Caretaker, you will be responsible for the following duties:
• Security of the Site and Premises
• The Appearance & Good Order of the Premises
• The Maintenance and Repair of the Site and Premises, Buildings, Fittings, Furniture and Equipment.
• The Operation of the Heating System
• The Operation and Monitoring of the Health & Safety Policy throughout the School.
• Cleaning Products
• General Porterage & Other Duties
• Grounds and Garden Maintenance
The role of Assistant Caretaker is Monday – Friday throughout the year with a split shift working 07.15am – 12.45pm week 1 (27.5 hrs) and 12.45pm – 17.45pm on week 2 (25 hrs) throughout the year. There is seasonal overtime to assist with grass cutting and pitch marking, Christmas concerts, and end of year events in July, which includes Saturdays. Additionally a Caretaker is required to be available when other school events are planned to assist in setting up and clearing away afterwards. The shifts and overtime are shared with the Senior Caretaker. The pay is a minimum of £10 per hour.
If you are a School Caretaker looking for your next career move then please do not delay in applying for this post. Interviews are to take place in the next 2 weeks, which consist of a tour around the school and conversation with the Headteacher and School Business Manager.
For a confidential discussion please call Sarah Catchpole at Pertemps on 07484 504127.