It’s important to find a good balance between both your job and personal life, to ensure you are getting the best out of both aspects of your life. We’ve put together this blog on the importance of a good work-life balance and a few tips on how you can achieve this.
The importance of having a work-life balance.
Many neglect the importance of a good work-life balance. A lack of a work-life balance can have negative physical, emotional and financial implications. Furthermore, it could potentially cause a breakdown in relationships between loved ones and hinder your work performance.
Here are a few reasons why you should have a good balance between work and your personal life.
- Avoid Burnout – Working excessively can lead to exhaustion, which would inevitably prevent you to carry out your best work. This can lead to fatigue and leave a negative impression in the eyes of your manager.
- Reduce Stress – As a result of not achieving a reasonable work-life balance, overloading with work can cause extra stress in your life. It is therefore essential to maintain a healthy balance, as additional stress can often cause side effects which may lead to long lasting health issues.
- Achieve your goals – It is often thought that the more you work, the more successful you will be. However, this can potentially lead to burnout and may jeopardise your progression opportunities, due to the quality of work you provide to your employer.
How to achieve a better work-life balance?
There are a variety of ways you can ensure you correctly balance your work load with your personal life. Take a look at what we recommend to achieve a better work-life balance:
- Set time aside for you – Overloading on your work load can have a negative impact on your wellbeing. That’s why it is important you relax and enjoy yourself after a hard day’s work. Whether you go out for dinner with friends, perhaps go the cinema or even catch up on your favourite series, it’s great to unwind and keep your mind off work.
- Get active! – Studies have found that exercise releases endorphins, which boosts energy and increases your ability to concentrate. A great way to implement exercise during you daily routine could be during your lunch break or even after work. A gym session or even a brisk walk is great to relax and avoid burnout.
- Communication – It is best not to assume your managers or family members are aware of your concerns. Perhaps adjusting your schedule may benefit your work-life balance. If this means asking your boss to leave a few minutes early once a week to attend a yoga class on the way home, then do it.
- Separate both aspects – It is important to keep your personal and work life separate. Having a set amount of working hours and not overdoing it or resisting the urge to check emails after hours or during days off are a few ways on how to keep both aspects separate.
If you are a nurse or physiotherapist and would like set office hours to help you achieve a better work life balance, then please take a look at the range of functional assessor roles we have available across the UK. Alternatively, please do not hesitate to get in touch with one of our consultants for a confidential chat to discuss your options.