Staff Nurse - Paediatric
Salary - £26,404 - £30,677
The post holder, having undertaken a period of supervision/preceptorship will be responsible
for delivering a high standard of care to sick children and the young person on their allocated
shifts. They will liaise with the multidisciplinary team and expected to support other nursing
and non-nursing staff, appropriate to own areas of competence, and to teach and support
parent(s)/guardian(s) skills in caring for the sick child.
The post holder will assess plan,implement and evaluate the care needs of the sick child/ young person, in association with
current philosophies of paediatric care and the organisational policies/guidelines.
The post holder will be supported to work towards co-ordinating the ward, and it is expected
that full qualification criteria is met on reaching the KSF second gateway. They will act as a
role model to all staff and participate in the development of departmental initiatives in order
to enhance the care delivered to the ‘Sick Child/Young Person.
1. To assess, develop, implement and evaluate programmes of care.
2. To autonomously initiate emergency interventions as the child's condition dictates.
3. To provide prescribed nursing care without supervision, within the level of the postholder's experience, referring to a more senior nurse when necessary.
4. To participate as team member, including supporting relatives and friends of the child
together with providing support for other children.
5. To maintain accurate records, both electronic and paper, of the care given in accordance
with agreed standards.
6. To act in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct.
7. Independently liaise and communicate effectively with members of the nursing staff,
multidisciplinary team and other associated agencies.
8. Demonstrate evidence-based practice.